Monday, October 13, 2008

Eggs florentine



4 slices (1 inch thick) sourdough bread
3 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 pound baby spinach
1/3 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (3 ounces)
4 large eggs
Directions
Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Place bread on a baking sheet, and brush both sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Broil until golden, 1 to 3 minutes per side; set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add scallions and as much spinach as will fit; season with salt and pepper. Cook until wilted, tossing and adding more spinach as room becomes available, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain off excess liquid; mix in goat cheese. Transfer to a bowl; cover to keep warm. Set aside.
Wipe out skillet; heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium. Gently crack eggs into skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook until whites are almost set, about 1 minute. Cover, and remove from heat; let stand until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 3 minutes.
Top each piece of toast with spinach mixture and 1 egg; serve immediately.

4 comments:

Nessa said...

This sounds fantastic!

Stopping by via SITS. I love the name of your blog.

Pseudo said...

Well, you were #2 at SITS, so of course you deserve a look up. I love your site. Since I also love to cook (and eat) I'll be back.

Nice to meet you SITStah!

Rella said...

Steph, my sister is writing a cook book and I'm wondering if you would like to try out some of the recipe's and take some good photographs of them for her book. What do you think? Please email me if you are interested, or text me or call me.

audrey said...

Hey, where are you : ) I miss your recipes!